Monday, August 5, 2013

Laundry, Laundry and more Laundry!!!

We are a large family, and with a large family comes LOTS of laundry!  Loads and loads of laundry! 
What started out to be a search for laundry detergent that wouldn't irritate my son's eczema, ended up being a great money saver!  The first recipe I used for several years was a thick gel like soap.  It was not as consistent on consistency.  Sometimes it would be really thick and sometimes it would be runny like egg drop soup.  It cleaned well, but I really hated making it and having to wait over night to use it.  ( I would always wait until we were completely out before I would make a new batch...I am sure that no one else would do that! :-) )   Here is the recipe I used:

1/3 bar of Zote soap - grated  (I used the pink kind)
1/3 cup of washing soda ( not baking soda)
1/3 cup of borax 

Fill a 3 quart pot with water and heat the grated soap until melted.  Once the soap is melted take off the burner and stir in washing soda and borax.  Once it is all dissolved put into a 2 gallon container and add water to fill.  Let sit over night, it should be egg drop soup consistency.  (but as I stated above, it would some times come out a little thicker, it still worked fine though)  I used 1/3 cup of solution for a medium-large load.  You can add essential oils like lavender to add scent if you like.

I found this (http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/no-grate-homemade-laundry-soap.html) recipe for no grate laundry soap on Pinterest.

It is much quicker and I love it!!   I think it cleans well and it doesn't irritate my son's skin!  
I also love this home made shout! http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2011/12/homemade-shout-stain-remover.html.  I love this one!  

I love One Good Thing by Jillee blog!    

So if you find yourself doing lots and lots of laundry and spending more money then you would like on it, then try one of these laundry soap recipes and stain recipe! 

If you have a great recipe that you use, I would love to hear from you!!!

Happy washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment